Visit the Zelená Hora (Green Mountain) Chateau in 2019
Whichever direction you will be coming from, sooner or later you will see the unmistakable landmark of the local landscape on the horizon – Zelená Hora. The early Baroque chateau changes daily with the light and seasons of the year, thus creating an unforgettable and ever-changing scenery.
Zelená Hora has been an attraction ever since the Celts conquered West Bohemia. St. Adalbert bestowed his blessings upon the local region on Zelená Hora when he was travelling through here. Zelená Hora was first fortified in the early 13th century by members of the Order of Cistercians from the nearby monastery. When the monastery burnt down in 1420, Zelená Hora became the property of the Švamberk and later the Šternberk families, during which time the Zelenohorská Unity was established against King George of Poděbrady.
In 1726, Zelená Hora was purchased by the Martinic family. Marie Dominika of Martinic later bequeathed the entire manor to the Imperial Chancellor, Franz Gundakar von Colloredo-Mannsfeld. At that time, in 1870, the Manuscript of Zelená Hora (Green Mountain Manuscript) was discovered at the chateau, a literary text from the late 9th and early 10th centuries whose authenticity was questioned repeatedly.
The cruel rule of the Colloredo-Mannsfelds was replaced with the affable Countess Wilhelmine Auersperg, who received the manor as her dowry. In 1931, her son sold Zelená Hora to Mr. and Mrs. Plavec, who later sold it to Karel Blažek, from whom the property was confiscated on account of the failure to pay the appropriate transfer fees.
Under government ownership, the chateau started to deteriorate. Following the establishment of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia in 1939, the chateau was used by German soldiers. After the war, Zelená Hora served as a military base of the Czechoslovak Army, and in 1951-1957, the technical auxiliary battalions, which inspired Miloslav Švandrlík’s novel Černí baroni (The Black Barons), were stationed at Zelená Hora. After the war, the chateau’s furniture was moved to nearby chateaux, churches or museums.
The Czechoslovak Army vacated the chateau only after the Velvet Revolution in 1989. Since 1992, the chateau has been the property of the town of Klášter, which managed to partially reconstruct the structure between 1996 and 2008. The most recent project was the refurbishment of the garden arcade staircase of the sala terrena in 2015-2016.
Chateau tours and cultural events in 2019
29. 6. - 7. 7. Tours of Zelená Hora Chateau for the public , from 10.00 to 18.00 / (except 1. 7.), www.zelenahora.cz
18. 8. Mary's Pilgrim Mass
The program is subject to change. For details, visit www.zelenahora.cz